Labels

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

If vs. When

When I am feeling down my mind starts to run. When my mind starts to run I start thinking about all the things that I am stressed about. Life, work, money, etc. Things that may not be that big of a deal seem like now feel like a battle. Like your mission is to defeat the armies of Sauron and Sarumon as their evil spreads across the lands of man. If you don't understand that reference I recommend reading or listening or watching The Lord of the Rings. As I have mentioned before reading is a great way to clear your mind and get lost. 

When we are stressed a lot of times we play our scenarios in our heads like what if my check is low since I took those days off and what if I can't pay this bill. Time to change this way of thinking, change the if to when. This may seem off but hear me out. When my check is low and I am unable to pay this next bill . . . now fill in the rest. Take action! When my check is low and I am unable to pay this next bill I will call the billing provider, explain the situation and ask for a payment plan. This will not always work but it helps to put things in perspective and not on a pedestal. This seemed like a bigger issue when all these 'IF' statements run through my mind but when I take control and knock them back down I feel better. Not only has a weight been lifted, I now have a plan, I wont be taken by surprise if no WHEN my check is low and I have defeated the armies in my head. 

The point is that when you are feeling this way it seems to really weigh down on you. Try not to let it. Easier said than done, I know but take a step back, take a deep breathe and try to move forward. Things generally are not as bad as they seem. You can do this, it is not a matter of if but a matter of when.

**Again I am not a doctor or therapist these are my personal thoughts and what I do to clear my mind. These are some steps I take to conquer my depression, if you suffer from depression I recommend seeking professional help.




No comments:

Post a Comment